- Dockless E-Scooters & E-Bikes are amazing services. They are good products that people want to use, BUT there is a personal and public safety issue.
- Few scooter riders wear helmets (anecdotal evidence suggests < 1 in 10 scooter riders wear one). Coupled with their relative inexperience with those vehicles + lack of adequate paved bike lanes, accidents, collisions, and scooter related injuries are on the rise.
- Many riders report that they would wear a helmet if one was conveniently available. Helmet sharing as an idea has been tried, but unfortunately helmets do not lend themselves well to the sharing economy as does the bike or scooter. Several helmet sharing pilots have been attempted, but all have failed.
- The Scooter companies see this as a big problem as well. Some already give out helmets for free. Unfortunately this does not seem to have had much of an impact on the helmet usage rate, and the companies have no idea how often their users use the helmets they received for free.
- Rather than try to compel riders to wear a helmet (legislation, fines etc.) or helmet sharing, Explore makes a smart but simple and affordable helmet that riders will naturally want to carry with them.
- Explore's Smart Connected Helmet System enables scooter companies to track when riders are wearing a helmet, and provide riders with incentives and rewards for doing so.
- As riders are incentivized by both their own safety and the "carrot" of a small reward, they would start carrying around their own helmets. The incentive reinforces safe behavior, normalizing the practice of carrying a helmet and turning it into a habit preventing severe injuries from happening, and saving lives.
How It Works
- Explore will build simple, stylish, and affordable helmets that come with passive electronic chips integrated into the helmet.
- Working in partnership with cities and the scooter companies, the helmets will get distributed to riders either via purchase or deposit. (many Scooter companies already provide free helmets to their active users. Explore's system would be a superior, more effective system that provides trackable usage data, and can be cheaper to run as well)
- When these riders rent a scooter, they will also scan their helmet in the app, unlocking a small discount on their ride rewarding them for wearing a helmet.
- Riders win because they get to make their own choice as to how they want to ride, but are incentivized towards safer practices.
- Cities win because of lowered incidences of injuries and collisions. Also, if riders are wearing helmets, they might be more likely to ride on the street/bike lane rather than on the sidewalk.
- Scooter companies win because they are actively supporting the safety of their riders, making it that much more likely to keep their customers as long term riders because they feel that the service is indeed safe. If Explore's system is effective, this can also replace their current helmet giveaway program.
- Explore wins because we are in the business of making and selling helmets!