Hi, I create my proposal in google doc that way will be easier to open and read. The links below will take you to the proposal in spanish or english.
Miami traffic has 2 huge problem public transportation is deplorable and still using the prehistoric traffic light system.
We all hope that someone with the necessary authority or power take action before it's too late.
Or you can read the Proposal 1 in English version below here:
This first solution focuses on improving traffic flow by eliminating the antiquated traffic light system created in 1868 150 years ago and replacing it with a modern system using artificial intelligence; intersections will be able to communicate with each other and decide the best flow, direction and time. It will be known in real time how many vehicles are on the streets, type of vehicles, address, speed, etc. Programming algorithms can detect drivers driving improperly under the influence of alcohol, or using the telephone, in excess of speed, etc. Canada, China, Japan, United States, etc. They face critical problems of congestion, if this proposal is implemented it could be sold to these countries.
- Congestion of the expressways, main streets and avenues of Miami. The expressways continue to expand, collapsing the main streets and avenues, which do not have an efficient system for controlling the flow of vehicles.
- Inefficient traffic light system. The traffic light system, with more than 150 years of creation, is based only on time and imprecise sensors wasting time at each intersection, waiting for drivers who travel in one direction when there are no vehicles crossing the intersection or making left. The traffic light system can not identify which road at an intersection is more congested and needs more time with the green light giving priority to more congested routes and less priority to less congested routes. The traffic lights are expensive, heavy, very prone to failures, difficult to understand with so many unnecessary lights, consume a lot of electrical energy for their operation and raw material for their manufacture, etc. The average intersections have 32 lights, which are often complex for people who are learning to drive and older people.
- The government is in charge of the traffic light system.
- Streets and Avenues with multiple roads in both directions are not used in full in congestion schedules. In times of congestion streets and avenues are congested in one direction, while in the other direction only a few vehicles travel, wasting roads with multiple lanes completely empty.
- Accidents. Accidents mostly happen when drivers are distracted by relying on traffic lights that work by time or when there is congestion and are entertained in other activities such as using the phone or looking around taking off the eyes from the road. In conclusion, who causes drivers to be distracted and cause accidents are the people on charge of the signaling system and roads. While a driver is in motion, he must be attentive to traffic but when he spends more time stopping at traffic lights or in congestions he starts to get stressed and therefore seeks a distraction consequence that most of the time ends in accident.
- Excessive placement of traffic lights in streets and main avenues. Excessive traffic lights have been placed on avenues and main streets with a high volume of traffic, worsening the flow of traffic. Example: 87 Ave NW from 7 to 8 street there are three traffic lights in the same block, route which a few meters connects with expressway 836, etc.
- A private company should be in charge of the operation of this project as in Tokyo. Manufacturing, installation, maintenance, monitoring and being the owners.
- Creation of a new signaling system using tricolor LED technology, embedded cameras and OpenCV. This replaces the traffic lights of the main streets and avenues with greater congestion along with those that connect to Expressway. Example: 8th Street, Flagler, Bird Road, Coral Way, 87 bird, etc.
- Make modifications so that key streets and avenues can become one-way roads, in peak morning hours in one direction and in the afternoon to the other, the rest of the time will remain double track. OpenCV and LED signals control the entire flow of cars to turn streets and avenues into a single track and return them to double track whenever necessary.
- Give access to real-time information generated by OpenCV to the companies that manufacture GPS. The companies that manufacture GPS will be able to show in their equipment the streets with less traffic and the best routes with an unparalleled precision.
- Place on the expressway light signals indicating the streets or avenues of descent with fewer vehicles. These signs will be placed in the expressway every three streets or avenues that connect with the expressway and will indicate in real time which of the following three streets or avenues has fewer vehicles, in this way the driver can deduce which route is more convenient.
8 Indicators for each intersection: $ 60 for each one.
4 Cameras per intersection: $ 4 for each one.
1 Computer per intersection: $ 150
Total cost per intersection: $ 644
- Reduction of the cost of purchase, installation and consumption of electricity. Cost of purchase 75% less, installation cost 40% less and electricity consumption 80% less.
- Easy to understand signaling system. Instead of having 32 average lights at the current traffic lights, it will has only 8 been easier to understand and stay focused mainly for those who are learning to drive and the elderly.
- Intelligent flow control system that learns from traffic. System capable of constantly counting traffic and types of vehicles. It will recognize roads with a greater volume of vehicles. Intersections can communicate with each other in this way an intersection can communicate to the following the exact amount of vehicles that approach them and they can decide in advance how quickly they must act to make traffic flow better. Traffic will be guided by vehicle volume, direction, schedule, etc. and not just for a timer like today traffic light.
- Information in real time. The signals at the intersections will generate information in real time which can be used to inform drivers through GPS, apps, etc. Number of vehicles, types, direction, speed, pedestrians at intersections, etc. It will be possible to determine with greater precision the maintenance planning or modifications to the roads that need it. The system will automatically report to 911 accidents detected at the intersections, emergency teams will receive an image from 4 angles of the magnitude of the accident and will be able to arrive quickly with the necessary equipment.
- Reduction of accidents. This intelligent system is able to detect people in wheelchairs or elderly people at intersections and act by ordering the signals a total "stop", most traffic lights only give pedestrians a few seconds to cross which is very little for elderly or disabled people and many times they are left in the middle of the street with traffic going by (I had to help a woman who did not know what to do in that situation). Drivers will be less distracted, with less traffic will be focused on reaching their destination.
- Better use of roads. This new signaling system can automatically add lanes in the direction in which there is more volume of vehicles to avoid congestion.
- Identifying vehicles and people 1.
- Identifying vehicles and people 2.
- Counting vehicle type 1.
- Counting vehicle type 2.