Grand Rapids History
Many years ago Grand Rapids struggled to get the community to vest into recycling. Out of that struggle, http://www.mygrcitypoints.com was born. This recycling initiative is a program where the city gives us (the residents) points based on our recycling weight, and we can use those points for extras in life. Massage, Yoga, and City Bus tickets are a few of the perks.
In this challenge, We have the opportunity to encourage residents to drive less and use alternative methods to commute. However, life teaches us this lesson, telling people something is good or bad doesn't necessarily motivate them to take part in it. Consider weight loss, smoking, or even recycling. Unless there is a personal motivator, we are unlikely to alter what we usually do. Interestingly though, we love to be incentivized to participate, and when we participate often enough, it can become a habit.
Our solution, rather than introduce something new, let's expand what we have to promote transportation like biking, walking, skateboarding, skating, hoverboarding and even bus riding. Let’s incentivize mobility GR style and make it a cool thing to do.
- Give residents points for using alternative transportation and tie it back into the existing program mygrcitypoint.com.
- Secondly, expand the point system so it can be applied to more city services (for example a limited amount of points could be applied toward payment of trash and water forming a discount on the bill).
- Utilize organic data collection to develop marketing and points
- Update and modernize the website to make it more user-friendly. (Let's make it millennial-friendly and entice people to visit it.)
- Encourage community involvement as well as individual involvement through community rewards (such as city-sponsored block parties for the community with the most cycles - which could double as a way for government and city services to connect with the city ).
- Finally, let's catch people out using alternatives forms of transportation and make them famous for 10 or 15 seconds. It could be on the news, or a billboard or the website.
- Involve Businesses and Insurance companies to encourage participation.