While traveling to Reno, NV for Interbike just last week, I learned of a bike share system called Lime Bikes, which was being used across the city. Lime Bikes is an app that you can download on your smart phone and use to unlock and use a bike to get around the city. The app is unique because it is cheaper than other bike share programs Grand Rapids has had, you can use the app to find the closest available bike, you can also use the app to sound an alarm to help you find the bike! Locks are integrated into the bikes, and users must follow rules: i.e. wear a helmet, use arm signals, park in correct areas, and users must be 18 years of age of accompanied by a legal guardian. Pedal bikes, scooters, and electric-assist bikes are available.
Sure, we could invent our own bike share program, but it would be easiest to piggy-back off of a proven, existing company! Bring Lime bikes to Grand Rapids!
How much does Lime cost?
Lime Pedal Bikes
- Lime classic pedal bikes cost just $1 to unlock and $0.05/minute to ride. Students, faculty and staff with a valid ".EDU" e-mail address, receive a 50% discount.
Lime-E Electric Assist Bikes
- Lime-E costs just $1 to unlock + a small fee per minute to ride (only $.15 per minute in most areas).
Lime-S Electric Scooters
- Lime-S costs just $1 to unlock + a small fee per minute to ride (only $.15 per minute in most areas).
- LimePrime costs $29.95 per month and includes $100 in ride credits for use on Lime Classic Pedal Bikes only.
- LimePrime Students is $14.95 per month and includes 100 ride credits, with a valid ".EDU" email address. Students, faculty and staff all qualify.