The Tour de Troit conceived the idea of a comprehensive wayfinding system and funded the development of this document. The Tour partnered with the Detroit Greenways Coalition (DGC) and contracted with livingLAB to engage the community and develop the plan. As part of the process, the Tour de Troit and DGC:
• Reviewed bike wayfinding systems being implemented in other cities throughout the United States.
• Documented existing bike signage within the City of Detroit.
• Reviewed AASHTO, NACTO and MUTCD standards.
• Met with City, County and MDOT staff to gather input related to design and implementation standards.
• Engaged stakeholders, agencies and organizations in a series of meetings to gather feedback on proposed designs.
• Developed an online survey that gathered additional input from 372 people.
• Applied the draft guidelines to a pilot area in southwest Detroit.