Waive is a technology company that makes shared mobility cost-effective, safe, and environmentally friendly. Our company is established on the core beliefs that mobility should be accessible to all and that the cost to commutation should not obstruct a person in moving from one place to another. Our services deliver on our core beliefs by converging shared mobility with DOOH advertising. Our fleet of energy efficient vehicles (eg electric, hybrid, hydrogen-fuel cells, etc.) are installed with roof mounted digital Ad-display which works as Ad-platform for advertisers who want to reach their target customers at a street level. The revenue generated from Ad-platform is used to drop service cost and provide additional services to our customers.
In order to create a holistic mobility solution, its important to understand the current landscape, current challenges and future plans of the impact area. Based on our analysis and key insights from the exploration phase, we have found that:
- The Michigan central station impact area is culturally diverse with a strong historic presence. Corktown, one of the most diverse place in US, is a historic district and attracts travelers. North Corktown is residential town whose culture has been shaped by long-time residents. The impact area also has a industrial presence with West side industrial in the South-east
- The impact area is surrounded by university district in the North, Downtown Detroit in the East and Mexicantown in the West
- Ford Motor Co. acquired the iconic Michigan Central Station on May 22 and plans to transform it into the centerpiece of a new campus in Detroit's Corktown neighborhood that will serve as an innovation hub for Ford's vision for the future of transportation
Challenges being faced
- Lack of convenience store (e.g.grocery store) in the area makes it difficult for local residents who do not have a personal mode of transportation
- A strong population of retired people (living on a pension) struggle with autonomy because car maintenance is too expensive
- Due to high cultural diversity and language barriers, elderly feel social anxiety when using public transit
- High cost of ownership of vehicle have resulted in demand for alternate mode of transportation.
- People find it hard to understand how the DDOT and SMART buses work
- Residents without vehicles have difficulty accessing food and healthcare\
- Single women find it difficult to travel alone during night time
To solve the above-mentioned problems, we would like to propose our two primary service offerings, WaiveCar and WaiveWork.
- WaiveCar is a one-way/roundtrip car sharing platform that allows customers to drive our vehicle for free for a fixed period of time.
- Customer can still drive the vehicle after the fixed time period gets over at a minimal rate of $1 per 10 minutes (our rental rates are ~60% lower than any other car-sharing platform in US).
- Our business model helps us provide this price advantage. Apart from being a affordable mobility solution, it provides sense of safety to people (especially women) who want to travel during night time.
- Our application is multi-linguistic (English and Spanish) and easy to use which removes the language barrier and social anxiety associated with it.
- Anyone with a smartphone and a clean driving record can use WaiveCar services. We believe in price transparency and ensure there are no hidden charges (e.g. membership fee, etc.).
WaiveCar pricing example :
- free to drive for the first half an hour
- $1 for every 10 minutes henceforth (Where other competitors charge $1 to just unlock the vehicle, we provide 10 minutes drive time)
WaiveWork provides energy efficient vehicle to ride-share drivers at the lowest price in the market (Our US price: $ 22 / day). Our offering includes vehicle insurance and schedule maintenance and can be booked on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis. Designed to increase transportation access and earning potential in an area, WaiveWork can further solve mobility issue in following ways:
- Low-cost to rent a vehicle:
- WaiveWork provides the lowest price to rent a vehicle in the US market. Our business model allows us to maintain this price advantage.
- Vehicle insurance and scheduled maintenance included in the fee
- Energy efficient vehicles drive down the fuel expense
- Enhanced safety:
- Our extensive background screening involves insurance, proof of address and criminal record check. As a result, our screening act as an additional layer on top of background checks performed by ride-share companies.
- Fleet ownership allows us to keep 24/7 tracking of our vehicles out on service. This allows us to take immediate response in case of an emergency
- Our Ad-display platform can be programmed to project “distress signal” by passenger while on a trip. It will enable law enforcement to easily spot the vehicle
- App-enabled easy signing process from registration to behind the wheels
- Activate base of potential drivers who do not have access to a reliable
vehicle, but want to drive for shared mobility businesses
- Rev-Share opportunity with drivers when certain operational conditions are met
- Our roof mounted digital Ad-display platform can be used by local businesses to help reach their target audience at cost-effective rates
- Local agencies can utilize our ad-platform in their outreach efforts to improve access to mobility information
- The travel pattern data generated from our services can be used in future planning of the city (e.g. identification of mobility hot spots, accident prone zones, optimized location of charging stations, etc.)
*Please see attached slides on our product offering for more details.