A multitude of transportation options exist; Austin has studied the issue extensively. What is needed is a new way to see the issue and a scope small enough to drill into the details. The fundamental challenge this proposal seeks to address is:
"How can we use data in a visualization and co-creation environment to drive understanding, decisions and behavioral changes to achieve mobility, health and environmental targets for specific needs in a focused community in East Austin?"
We will use the immersive environment to bring meaningful improvement in the research and community engagement approach for City and community issues, by addressing the problems of:
• Complexity of multi-disciplinary problems needing comprehensive solutions
• Skyrocketing needs for complex data analysis and visualization
• Problems addressed in silos causing problems in other areas
• City initiatives and successes without visibility, engagement and recognition in the community
• No place to casually convene for community conversations about solutions
We know that solving problems in one area can cause problems in another. We use a high tech visualization and immersion environment to co-create solutions. If we look at problems in a multidisciplinary way AND if we engage the community throughout the process, new solutions emerge.
We pattern this project after the San Diego Center (below) but with a focus on local problems, local stakeholders, and ongoing community engagement.